Kitchens are often the busiest rooms in a home, serving as a space for meal preparation, cooking, socializing, and entertaining. To ensure your kitchen is fully functional, consider renovating it.
If you’re seeking assistance with kitchen renovation or remodeling, you’ve come to the right place. Here at Elle Designs Co., we invite you to explore this blog post that offers interior design tips for kitchen renovations. Read on to find valuable information that can help you in your project.
Evaluate the Kitchen Layout
Before remodeling any room, it’s important to assess the existing layout for functionality and efficiency. If you plan to change the kitchen layout, carefully consider the placement of different items and appliances.
Are they located where you need them? How do you use these items in the kitchen? Arrange them in convenient and strategic positions. For instance, place cereal boxes and bowls near the breakfast table or kitchen island. Store plates near the dishwasher and sink. Position a breadbox or bread container close to the toaster, and keep coffee mugs near the teapot or hot water dispenser.
If you’re considering adding a kitchen island, ensure there is enough space for installation. Pathways within the kitchen should be at least 1 meter wide, while cooking zones should have a minimum width of 1.25 meters to allow ample space, especially when multiple individuals are working in the kitchen simultaneously.
Since kitchens often experience high foot traffic, particularly when connected to other rooms like the living room and dining room, it’s essential to have wide passage areas. If you prefer an open layout floor plan, avoid placing the cooking zone in the middle of the main pathway.
This prevents others from accidentally bumping into pan handles while passing by while you’re cooking. You don’t want constant movement around you while you’re trying to prepare meals. Additionally, plan the layout carefully to avoid placing the refrigerator or pantry near the cooking zone.
Consider Kitchen Lighting
Lighting is a crucial factor to consider when renovating a kitchen. It’s best to address lighting during the early stages of renovation, while planning the kitchen’s layout.
There are various types of lighting to consider, including task lighting, ambient lighting with dimmable features, and pendant lighting that adds aesthetic appeal. Your kitchen should not only be functional but also create an enjoyable atmosphere for dining and entertaining guests.
Optimize Kitchen Storage
When planning a kitchen renovation, give careful thought to storage space. Assess if you have sufficient storage for cookware, crockery, and other kitchen items.
If your dishes are currently stored in standard floor cabinets, consider alternative storage solutions. Additionally, think about where you can store dry foods and spices to keep your kitchen organized, especially if it’s small.
Prioritize Kitchen Details
An experienced interior designer like Elle Designs Co. can help you focus on important details for your kitchen design. Here are some key considerations:
- Fill in empty spaces: Utilize cabinetry or add features like a breadboard or tray niche to make the most of available space.
- Account for high ceilings: Leave space between the ceiling and the top of cabinets for easy cleaning. Consider floor-to-ceiling cabinets to maximize storage in smaller kitchens.
- Store least-used appliances: Designate storage within a large cabinet or a separate storage area for appliances that are used less frequently, minimizing clutter on countertops.
- Adjust appliance heights: Ensure that kitchen appliances are at a suitable height for easy access. For example, the oven should not be placed too high to avoid difficulties in removing hot trays or dishes.
- Consider child-friendly options: Install low cupboards for children’s items like cups, bowls, and cutlery to promote independence and prevent them from climbing on countertops to reach items.
- Provide space for hot dishes: Allocate at least 40cm of countertop space next to the hob or oven to place hot dishes after cooking or baking.
- Include convenient electrical outlets: If you have a kitchen island, consider installing electrical outlets for easy access when using appliances or charging devices.
The Kitchen for Entertaining
If you enjoy hosting events and parties at home, consider incorporating a kitchen island with seating. Ensure you have enough space to accommodate a few chairs or stools. Additionally, a breakfast bar with bar stools or dining chairs can be a perfect addition for entertaining guests and family members.
Create the Illusion of Space
To make a small kitchen feel more spacious, consider using mirrors as a backsplash. This will create an illusion of greater depth and visually expand the area. It adds a unique detail and enhances the overall character of your kitchen.
Infuse Personality into Your Kitchen
When choosing paint colors or wallpaper designs, consider the style or theme of your kitchen. Window curtains can also add character and improve the aesthetic appeal of the space. Selecting the right kitchen flooring and displaying family photos can add a personal touch to your kitchen.
Is Your Kitchen in Need of Remodeling?
If you’re seeking the expertise of an interior designer to create a functional kitchen, rely on Elle Designs Co.
With over 10 years of experience in the industry, we have the skills and knowledge to design and remodel homes. If you would like to learn more about our current services, please reach out to us. Please fill out the contact form on our website to get in touch with us.